'Wear Nice Clothes' is the ultimate in procrastination for our writers who prefer to write satirical fashion commentary than actually do the work for their degrees. We love vintage shops, charity shops, clothes that last forever and customisation.

Thursday 26 November 2009

Customisation Station.

How to turn something old, borrowed or blue into something new.


In honour of our new NYC writer, I thought I would show you how to make an 'I LOVE NY' top look less Mary-Kate and Ashley Oslen 'New York Minute' and more Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen 'Elizabeth and James' Fall Collection.


(If you haven't seen 'New York Minute' -WATCH IT, ITS AMAZING!)




Customisation of the t-shirt was a simple procedure. I cut off the sleeves and the tight neck bit and pulled the material so it stretched and curled up at the edges (no need to hem.) 

I wanted it cropped with a curved hem at the front. I put the top on and marked the length I wanted it at my sides and in the middle and then cut between those marks and stretched it again. SIMPLE.

To tone down the bright red heart, I found a black lacy top (absolutely vile) in my 'to cut up' pile and lay a square of it over the heart. I pinned it down and sewed (using a running stitch- two steps forward one step back) about 0.3cm away from the edge of the heart. Once completed, I cut around the very edge of the heart. 


 

This would look pretty snazzy done with any sheer fabric, but I like the lace as it looks a little gothic.


Written by Kate Lloyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment